Saturday, September 8, 2012

First day on-call

Need to try and get some sleep so I will write this entry tomorrow when I have time
Okay Better late than never, So my Friday started off we me getting up early and having a relaxing morning before my 11:30 class. At about 10 I decided to check my email and realized that I had received an email from Russ Dawson, a professor of mine from last semester, and he was informing me on a possible research opportunity that I had actually email his associate/friend/my former prof Erin. They did research on mountain bluebirds and tree swallows in a reclaimed mine site in the summer, and the control site and the test sites were at different elevations, and now there is a question regarding whether or not elevation was an influential factor and if it was, in what way. The actual research part that I would be doing is rather dull, repetitive and will likely be boring, but it is lab experience. I would be sifting through the nests for parasites. The extra awesome part is that there is a possibility that I'll be able to get some money out of it, as I can apply for an undergraduate research award which would get me $1500 for the semester, and there is a possibility that I would be able to write a manuscript and maybe get something published before I graduate which would be amazing. Upon finding this out, I rushed down to the school to see if Russ was in his office and he was so we chatted, I agreed to do the work and therefore had to start work on the undergraduate research award application as they are due september 16th, so I need to get that done this weekend. After meeting with Russ I went to my Society and Space Tutorial and it was only 8 minutes, all we did was pick seminar topics, and I picked the first one to get it out of the way as I wont have time later in the semester to do it, I'm doing it with another guy in my seminar, and hopefully we can do a decent job. After my 8 minutes of class I submitted and paid the fee for my application to graduate, so I am all set :) Kind of exciting. After that I was back in res, trying to be as productive as I could, I found the application I needed to fill out and started to do so, Then Katie and I went outside to enjoy the sun. That didnt last too long before Katie left to go get Kris, as it was backyard BBQ and he was coming up to party it up :) Katie and Kris arrived and brought me a screamer, which was delicious. We then had a disney song ID contest and ate food, and then Liz and Jeremy showed up as they were going to the BBQ too! Oh and I forgot to mention in this time I also went to the mailroom to get my package from my daddy that had finally arrived, so I now have my teddy bear, which is awesome :), and i picked up the on call phone. Liz went up to see Fabris and on her way back saw a large group of people partying outside of neyoh, so obviously as I was on call it was my problem, so I called Krista as she was on Call too and she met me and we went out there and broke it up and I was grateful to have Krista as I dont think I could have handled a group that large on my own. We met up with Lee and did rounds at 6:30, and things werent too bad, some dumped alcohol, but not much. After that we broke apart until 9, and in the time I did geography notes and watched tv. Katie, Kris, Liz and Jeremy went to the BBQ to go see Kingsfoil, which is Frankie Muniz's band, and Katie and Kris ended up meeting him and he is so short, like 5ft. At 9, we did rounds again, and there wasnt anything bad, a few lock outs and then we did door checks which involved mostly cooperative people, but some were a little too drunk and thus were not thrilled by the door checks At 11 we did rounds again and at 12 we did them again, and luckily res was quiet as most people had gone downtown which I was okay with. I went to bed around 1, and sleot horribly worried that the phone would ring, but lucky for me, no calls. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment