Saturday, September 18, 2010

SHINERAMA

This morning was an early one, I was up at 7 and I was able to watch the sunrise from my bedroom which was really pretty. And then somehow I managed to get dressed and eat something and Katy, Kallie, Morganne and I made it down to the school for 8am. Where we met up with the other members of SGU (students for a green university), not to mention the 350 other people who were volunteering with Shinerama today.

A little Background:
Shinerama is the largest nation wide post secondary charity event. Once a year students from various post secondary insinuations go out and shine shoes and whatever else they can to Raise money of Cystic Fibrosis. Now as you may know, most people don't wear shineable shoes anymore so I guess we are just collecters of money, but it was a huge event.

All the clubs at UNBC have to participate at Shinerama, you get a T-shirt and various shoe shining devices and everyone is sent to different locations in town. We got to goto the Farmers Market.

At first we felt kinda awkward because the rest of SGU rode their bikes down so it took them a little longer to get there, and they brought the bike powered blender, which is a blender that's blades turn due to the friction of the wheel against a rod that spins and can therefore make smoothies which was our tactic to help us raise money. We wandered for hours, collecting money, shining shoes, giving out balloons and stickers and such things. We also passed out smoothies although alot of people didn;t want them... They were kinda chunky, they tasted good, but didn't have a good texture.

We collected money until 12ish when our lunch was delivered by bicycle, and lunch was okay, they were premade sandwiches so not exactly a gourmet lunch, but we were starved so it was appreciated.

Then things started getting silly, we were having people juggle in a effort to raise money and then we thought it would be a good idea to catapult an orange using some bungee cords, in the end the orange exploded and bits went flying everywhere, and Mark got covered in Orange gunk.

*Side note: Today Mark told me that I have the perfect hair for dreds, good idea? bad idea?*

As the farmers market was wrapping up we weren't able to get as many donations, which kinda sucked. We did however make a smoothie containing Kale, apples, oranges, mango tofu, and a few other things and it tasted so good, but it looked like vomit, actual vomit. Anyways moving on from the vomit though I will come back to that.

We were all in a circle and the guys aka Cam, Ryan, Mark and a few other randoms wanted to plant hacky sack, but also we had not hacky sack, but what we did have were balloons, so we began to play hacky sack with a balloon which is something I can actually do, sadly the wind was not in out favour and the balloon kept blowing into this little raised garden that had people bikes leaning on it and our stuff was all being kept on the ledge of the garden and in the area around the garden,

Anyways finally the wind blew the balloon a little too close to the bike with the blender attached to it, which contained the Kale vomit smoothie and the bike was knocked over, as was the blender and a cup of coffee, and the smoothie ended up on the ground in a pile at the corner edge of this garden and sadly some of it ended up on a very nice girls bag, but she was cool with it. The funny thing was is that now the vomit smoothie looked like some one had actually puked it up on the street. True story.

Shortly after this incident we walked to the bus stop, by we I mean Kallie Katy and I. And on the way kallie accepted a flower from a strange man at the side of the road. Bad idea, he began to follow us and he shouted a few things and continued to follow until we ducked into the pool to use the washroom and to kind lose Kallie's little admirer. Once on the bus we all realized how tired we were and some naps on the bus may have occurred.

Once back in Rez it was shower time, and it was possibly the best shower ever. I did not want to get out but I had to because Katy had to shower after me. then we went down to the BBQ and closing ceremonies for Shinerama, and we raised over $11,000, which brings us that much closer to our goal of $17000 by December. After the BBQ we went back to our room to chill a bit.
There was some boy drama, but that's all I'm saying.

Eventually 'outback' Dan Cam and I did a liquor store run in Forest's car, which is a BEATER. I couldn't even open the passenger side door, 'outback' Dan had to open it from the inside. Now you may be wondering why I had to come along, the reason is that 'Outback' Dan is still a little baby and by that I mean 18, and then Cam came along which was good because I know nothing about buying beer so Cam made the selections and not only was I not ID'd I also got a sweet beer satchel capable of holding 24 beers, but it was technically 'outback' Dan's because he paid for the beer. The once back at Rez, we ended up in Adam's room and he had made dinner and we all shared it and it was SOOOO good and the best part was that we all ate it out a pot, 7 people one pot in a circle, it was the best way to eat it. then some KD was grabbed thanks to 'outback' Dan and he and cam went "Adventure walking" and we made KD and they got back just in time to share that too, and I should not have eaten that, I am still feeling overly full and that was awhile ago.

After the eating, I decided that pants were a bad idea and that I didn't want to wear them so i took of my jeans and put on a pair of boxers, so I could at least wander the halls, Also at this time there was a girl pep talk. We also decided that tonight our room would be a pants free room, which I was pleased with.

However eventually I did have to put on pants because we walked over to tara's to say hi and I didn't wanna be cold, but now I'm back and tired and I still have pants on, but not for long, it's PJ time and time to at least lye in bed and turn off my brain.

I can't wait to sleep in tomorrow, and now because I said that I will be up early and I wont be able to fall asleep after waking up...

Night!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for raising $11,000. You're a Hero!!!
    As for the dreads, sounds like a good idea but would it be ok if you waited till after I visit? I just really like you're hair. But you can dread it up if you really want to. It's totally up to you.
    Miss You

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll put my hair in dreds, because if I decided I didn't want them I'd have to cut them out, and then I would have short hair and I look like a boy with short hair.
    Miss you Too.

    ReplyDelete