Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving

Today was a tiring but rewarding day. I woke up just before 9 and made a pancake breakfast for everyone, I made regular pancakes and chocolate chip pancakes for morganne :) and they were delicious I might add.

At about 10:30 the thanksgiving Prep began, Erica and i began to thaw the turkeys in the sinks because they were still frozen after thawing in the fridge for days.

Erica was my turkey Su Chef, we each picked out turkey, Erica's was named Marsipan and mine was named Geraldine(no clue if that is spelled right). We then had to be brave and take the neck and giblets out of the turkeys cavities. I went first and got out all the stuff, then Erica being bold and brave reached inside of marsipan and pulled out the neck and giblets with great triumph. Next we had to give the turkeys a Hot water enema to help with the thawing process, another thing that neither one of us had ever experienced, but we did well. After the enemas, we left them to thaw in sinks of cold water.

Then we waited Until it was time to prep the turkeys to be cooked and by this time we had arranged our living room so that we had four table and a shit ton of chairs for all 22 of our guests, except one didn't show up so it was only 21.

Erica and I Prepped the turkeys, by massaging under their skin with butter and seasoning them with oregano, salt, and pepper. We also stuffed them with leeks, celery and carrots to keep things moist and to add a bit of flavour. We got the turkeys in the ovens just after one.

Then we had some time to kill until we had to start doing other prep work, and that time in between prep work was useless, it was just a lot of sitting around. Then the crazy prep began, and there was lots of peeling and chopping and boiling and cooking and the cooking part was slmost all me, Fabris did the squash and the cauliflower, I did all the potatoes, cabbage, carrots broccoli, ect and it was alot of work, but we timed it welll. People started arriving just as the turkeys were coming out and they came out beautifully :), they were golden and cooked quite well and then we put some people to work mashing potatoes and such and before I knew it, our place was FULL of people and they had brought pies and other delicious items and sangria and yea. Then everyone was sitting down and I was still in the kitchen, I'm pretty sure I was in the kitchen basically all day.

Eventually everyone was given permission to start eating but I was still in the kitchen waiting for the sweet potatoes to finish, eventually I gave up and went and sat down and Dan who had been waiting in the kitchen with me also sat down. It was finally time for me to eat and the food was awesome and I even tried turkey neck, which is surprisingly good, though it looks and smells not so appealing, and then after a lot of eating the clean up before desert began and Coutenay and Adam helped out with the dishes, as dis others, and then we all had pie, we had four pies, all pumpkin, all homemade, all delicious :D

After pie, there was some silliness, some whipped cream fights, some cleaning and oh so much more, but to be honest, I have a headache so typing this is not very pleasant.

To Sum up My Day:

Today I cooked dinner for 21 people, with help of course
The guests were many and all were friends or if they weren;t friends before, they are closer to being friends now
The guests consisted of Myself, Dan, Erica, Katy, Kallie, Morganne, Adam, Micheal Williams, Scott, Jade, Cam, Ryan, Mark, Danny, Alexie, Nadia, Taylor, Kelsey, Courtenay, Jenna, Shannon.

Today I am thankful for many things, one of the most important being that I have friends who can make me feel like I'm with family when I'm 900km away from family. I'm also thankful that I have a boyfriend who would fly up to visit me on thanksgiving. I'm thankful that everyone was so grateful for the dinner and that everyone enjoyed it. And I'm thankful for more than that.


Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment